Sunday, August 29, 2010

typeface garamond

The first thing I notice about the garamond typeface is that it has no corners or sharp edges.  It's a really soft  
font.  The edges feel soft because there aren't any corners.  Every turn is smooth and elegant and its these corners that give the font a graceful aesthetic.  the contrast between the thick and thin areas also adds to the elegance through a suggestive balance in the letter form.  Many of the letters remind me of flowing water which I almost always associate with gracefulness.
The lowercase letter "A" I was given especially reminds me of water.  The finial is thick and slanted and reminds me of a waterfall.  The tail holds the same effect for me as it swooshes slightly upward after coming down the long stroke of the stem of the "a".  The top of the bowl compliments the the finial by running parallel to its slant.  The counter within the finial is also interesting because the top is perfectly round

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    Nice description of Garamond. You should upload some process/project work from type soon.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete