Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Letterpress Quote First Sketches

To start this assignment I figured I needed to have a look at the selection of type for the letterpress. Obviously there were going to be restrictions to what could be done with this project, so I set out to get a better feel for what I was and was not going to be able to with the letterpress. I was mostly interested in the larger fonts, so the postcards wouldn't be so bare and I feel that a viewer would be more likely to stop and read larger text than small text. Although I like the wood type, I certainly couldn't do my entire postcard with it. A few of the iterations I've done, though, may call for the wood type for a two letter word in the quote. I took these photos of the cases of type so I had a visual to work from while I was sketching. 


















After photographing a few different typefaces, I went ahead and hopped on the letterpress. Just some playing with it to get used to using it. Above are a few prints I did. I set up the word "Design" and the words "look at this." I did them separately though to get a  feel for pressing twice and trying to line up the layers of printing. I'm certainly happy I practiced with the letterpress a little. It definitely takes getting used to. The ink level needs to be right (I didn't get any prints to come out just right) the alignment is definitely tricky, and trying to observe the spacing of the type isn't that easy when the letters are backward. However, I'm certain practice will help build a better knowledge and use of the letterpress, its just so time consuming.















I chose this quote because of the words used in the quote. There are two sentences and half the words in one sentence are used in the other. This similarity between sentences allows obvious stresses to be implied to the quote. These stresses would be where I believe the hierarchy should be applied in this project. I specifically wanted a quote that demanded hierarchy and focus on particular words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment