Monday, January 24, 2011

Lupton Reading on Text and Letterpress

This reading (pg. 63-67 of Thinking with Type basically broke down into two ideas. First, Lupton introduces the thought that a body of type should be considered a visual force. She refers to it as a solid, yet a liquid. It has its own sturdiness and strength as an object, but at the same time can be formed into so many different combinations of text body forms. The body of text can be broken up and distributed in sections, it can span pages, and it––like letterforms––is a form as dependent of the negative space as it is of the positive space.
I first learned this lesson with Carl Kurtz last spring in the calligraphy workshop. Since then, I have taken careful note of my use of bodies of text. A rhythm must be established. A texture that characterizes the page. After last semester, my comprehension of the aesthetic of bodies of text probably doubled. Rivers, rags, orphans, and widows all became new parts of jargon I was using and aspects of my designs I was altering.

No comments:

Post a Comment