Sunday, August 28, 2011

Amsterdam Type exercises





First set of exercises for typography 3 class. The type setting of our names was done so that our teacher could see how we set our names and see how the typeface, point size, position of name on page, etc. reflected us students as designers. 

The type compostions were created after reading a passage of text describing the city Amsterdam. Our task was to create an expressive composition using type to convey messages in the text and make the text digestible for readers. In my first composition I call out parts of the text to emphasize ideas using the letters in an illustrative manner. In the second composition, I follow a system of setting nouns, adverbs, verbs, adjectives, etc. in a certain typeface and carry that trend through the composition. The final composition is more an exploration of type and drifts away from actually expressing the message of the text (a mistake on my part I must say). My goal in the composition was to create a field of text with varying weights and qualities. 


No comments:

Post a Comment