Friday, December 10, 2010

Semester Reflection (viscom 1 Fall 2010)

This semester...

There was a lot. A lot to take in. A lot to learn. And a lot learned. It all flew by quick but when I look back at the quality of my work at the beginning of the semester (concerning what I will call the three "c's"––craft, cohesion, and clarity) I have improved greatly on all three. All three are essential in design work, and in my opinion (at least for now) are the most important aspects of design. I will be certain to exercise these aspects of design and to continue executing them in my work for the years to come.

In addition to design formalities, I really learned how to work more effectively. I have always been a good student and entirely dedicated to getting my work done no matter what needed to be done. I had never had trouble delivering assignments until the first project this year. Not being able to deliver that project really messed with me on several levels. I had totally lost faith in myself, in my work, and in my direction in life. I was basically aimless for short period of time, just trying to get by until the winter break when I could stop and think about what I wanted to do. However, a solution and level of comfort came sooner than expected.
I learned not to doubt myself and to put more confidence in myself. I had given up for a little while and I think after getting back into the game mid semester I won't let it happen again. I know how to work better, and I now know (looking back at the month of september with a clear and better rested mind) that I had worked very inefficiently for  awhile (even in high school). I was able to correct this habit when I realized where all my time had gone in September. My focus also improved over the semester and I think I've found a few ways to keep it stronger and to stay on task better. I often find my mind wandering while I work on anything. I have slowly been able to contain the lack of focus. The best way I found to do this is by simply catching my mind wandering and getting to work immediately again. I still haven't found a way to prevent my mind from wandering in the first place and I don't think I ever will. I've always embraced this and looked at this kind of absent mindedness as a strength. I just have to let it occur less often and in more controlled ways. Basically, this semester my commitment to my work hasn't changed, but the way I work has greatly and this is what I needed more than anything.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, saw your working habits become more efficient. I'm glad that you are not trying to change who you are and your "mind wandering", but are working on strategies to reign it in. Your last project in Typography was a great example of how far you have come with time management. You were able to pursue 2 directions and keep the quality of deliverables high. Nice job sticking with it this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your synthesis to "3 Cs". I might have to quote you on that. These are keen observations of some critical objectives introduced this semester in Vis Com. Moving forward do keep those in mind but also add a 4th C - Creativity! Creativity in concept and creativity in form will engage and resonate with your viewer.

    In project 3 I definitely saw you achieve a more successful working methodology and therefore improved outcome than previously - you were focused to the task at hand and responded to critic efficiently.

    Most of all, I encourage you to talk with your faculty throughout a project. If you are frustrated or apathetic please let us know and we can do what we can to help you.

    ReplyDelete