Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Nnenna Freelon Folly Jazz Poster (FINAL)


This was the poster I put on display for the showing of our classes posters to the Folly musical directors. My concept employed two icons as allegories for two of the strongest characteristics for Nnenna. The spotlights act as an allegory for Nnenna's "showwomanship". Nnenna, being the center of attention in her performances demands a lot of attention through the vocals. The mic stands in as an allegory for Nnenna's vocals. Nnenna Freelon is a singer and is the attraction when she takes the stage. I use these two allegories to stress this nature of Nnenna's music. I want it to be obvious that she is a vocalist and that that is what the audience is going to be there for. 

The typefaces I chose represent Nnenna's elegance and pop jazz vocals. The typefaces have a modern aesthetic that not only references the pop music but also draws in a more modern and younger crowd.

The colors chosen I use to illustrate the mood of her music. The backing instrumentation that accompanies Nnenna is generally laid back smooth and very comforting and cool. The poster smoothly ranges from these cool colors to a burst of warm yellow. When listening to her music I picked up on the smooth cool music, but when she started singing I could sense this burst of warmth and love coming from her vocals. She is a very loving person and I see this frequently in her vocals so I chose to express this burst of a warm and loving vocal harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment