Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Color Experience with J A

J A as in Joseph Albers. Word.  I think the thing I found most appealing was Albers' craft.  In most cases you can't even tell that the images were done with paper.  Many look digital not analog.  I was also amazed by how many solid and clean color fields he found.  The way I took it he collected most colors from scraps.  Maybe I misread on that part, but regardless his palette of colors was numerous.  I'm fairly familiar with a some of the illusions he creates like making one color look like two through contrast and creating after images using contrasting colors.  Although experiencing these series of images in his book helped me understand them a lot more.  Something that I feel like can only be done through repetition of studying color interactions.

I posted the above images from his book because of particular things I noticed in them.  With  the first image Albers suggests looking at both compositions up close and from a distance.  When trying this I noticed that both create an intense pulsating effect when held close to the eyes and moved back and forth while still staying in close proximity to the face.  This works in both compositions but is noticed far more in the orange and blue.  With the second image Albers comments on a ground exchange between the hues however I simply only see the green as the ground and not the red.

No comments:

Post a Comment