Thursday, September 9, 2010

quality vs quantity response (viscom)

Last year during the spring semester, I signed up for the calligraphy workshop with Carl Kurtz.  In the workshop we wrote a lot as one would expect.  Carl firmly believed that the overall quality of everyones work could only improve if we were certain to focus on a good quantity of letters.  Basically practice makes perfect and this could have never been more clear than in a calligraphy class (in my opinion).  Every hand drawn letter had its own nuances and its own details.  Slowly as the workshop progressed my ability to perceive and draw as I directly saw increased.
Today I still notice this trend.  In Typography, repeating the letters we were working with naturally created a greater quality in each form.  Each time I rendered a letter I would notice something new in its form that I hadn't noticed earlier.  In viscom the repetition of drawing dot thumbnails made it easier for me to draw circles.  Even in simple thumbnails an overall better quality can be seen.  Repetition is key to perfection and fluidity.  Repetition commits your actions to your subconscious.  Drawing a letter or circle no longer takes thought or absolute focus and precision, it just happens for you in a way.

1 comment:

  1. Great response - drawing correlation between a past experience, assigned reading and current class learning.

    ReplyDelete