Wednesday, September 15, 2010

synTACTICS

Express the word mimic using syntactics.  Not too difficult if the easy route is chosen by reflecting or repeating the word.  I wanted to do a little more with it though.  I first tried setting up a shape to repeat mimic with.  I tried a circle, a diamond, and something that looks like the symbol for infinity.  However, these shapes were asking more questions than they were answering and although the expressed the idea of mimic too many issues were raised concerning the form.  I decided to express the word by reflecting each letter in different ways.  Each letter mimicked itself instead of the whole word mimicking itself.  I then took the form made by these reflected letters and made a duplicate.  These two identical forms were joined by the i's reflecting off the word.

I had to try a few times to get the dual form within the template but I eventually got it to fit just inside the border.  At this point some of my letters had stacked high from the several trial and errors so some pretty bad shadows were cast when I copied it.  They were a quick fix though with my left over white gouache and another copy being made.The paint is just noticeable in the final image just above the c's.

No comments:

Post a Comment