Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tension in the Field

I found this reading very interesting not only for the information it provided but also for its timing.  In viscom one of my nine words is tension.  Physical tension since the theme for my book is physics.  As I read this article I began to recall my most recent iteration of tension.  I noticed that most, if not all, of the main ways the book said to create tension were employed in my composition of tension.  I have strong diagonals that get larger as they approach the edge of the frame until they are cut off by the border.  These same diagonals then get smaller and drastically veer off in another direction wrapping around another object.  The form then widens again as it approaches the edge of the page and is cut off.  Two diagonal forms do this and appear to hold the forms wrapped within them from reaching each other.  These forms struggle to touch and get close enough to create a tension in the diagonals that hold them.  Compare this iteration (the middle on the bottom set) to my others and it's pretty easy to say that it creates way more tension on the page than the first several did.

No comments:

Post a Comment