Sunday, November 14, 2010

Speaking of Leo Lionni

While I was at Half Price Books the other day, I happened upon a book by Leo Lionni. I was looking for children's books for my poster design for the Reach Out and Read program. The book was called Tico and is about a bird that was born with no wings. The story was interesting enough (of course I read it) that I decided to post it. And it's a good example of Leo Lionni's work with children's books. And it really is a small world. It seems like just the other day I was looking up Leo Lionni for some class or something.








The cover. Ignore the price sticker. I bought it and now I don't need it for my poster anymore so I'm going to return it. Anyway, here's a summary of the story
 So, Tico was a bird born with no wings.
 One day he dreams about having golden wings and then he is visited by a bird that grants wishes.
 He wishes for golden wings and then his friends reject him because they think he wanted to be better than them.
 Tico then starts to give away his golden feathers to other people to help them.
When he removed his golden feathers, some black feathers then appeared to replace them. When all his golden feathers were gone he returned to his friends and was welcomed without question.

The moral? I have no idea and I'm sure most wouldn't from reading this summary. The moral is even harder to understand when reading the actual story. So I made one up instead, that suits it and probably makes better sense of the story than the story.

Be loved for what you do, and not what you have.

1 comment: