Thursday, November 4, 2010

Taken by Storm

So a while ago, back in the days of the dots, I was lookin for books at Half Price Books. This was of course a hunt for imagery for the dot books. Anyway, during one of my trips into the store I stumbled upon this book titled Taken by Storm. The cover of the book is what caught my eye. It was the album cover of Audioslave's self-titled debut album. I am not a fan of Audioslave. I am a fan of the pieces of Audioslave (Tom Morello, Brad Wilk, Tim Commerford, and Chris Cornell), but that's beside the point. I noticed an album cover and immediately knew it was an album artwork book. Before I knew it, I had looked through the whole book and had spent half an hour doing so. Of course, I was brief with each page. I planned on buying the book anyway so I skimmed through, snatched it up and now have it to refer to for inspiration. I've always been interested in album artwork and came to the decision of wanting to design album artwork a few years ago. So it was natural for me to pick this book up. I did not expect the epicness that this book possessed. I knew it would be good but I didn't know that this book was just one artist's work, and I never would have guessed that this guy has done some of the best and well known album covers from the past 45 years. The designer is Storm Thorgerson, and his job is to create truly epic moments and use them as album covers. Basically. Just witness a few of my favorites and see what I mean. Really. Epic.
 Butterflies and Hurricanes single-Muse
 Try Anything Once-Alan Parson's Project
 On Air-Alan Parson's Project
 Secret Society-Europe
 Deloused In the Comatorium (alt. cover)-The Mars Volta
 Houses of the Holy-Led Zeppelin
 The Widow single-The Mars Volta
 Tree of Half Life t-shirt design-Pink Floyd
 Bottom Half-Umphrey's McGee
 Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd
Stomp 442-Anthrax

1 comment:

  1. From the looks of your examples, I think you'll really enjoy taking Visual Language Studio next year. In that class you'll learn about using "visual rhetoric" - something these designs use to their advantage.

    ReplyDelete