Thursday, February 3, 2011

Experimental Type 7 Digital Explorations






Anomaly


Concentration


Direction


Repetition


Space


Texture


Gradation


I began doing this set of iterations on the computer. I shifted fonts, threw some type together and tried arranging it in interesting ways that met the seven principles of experimental type. I figured it wouldn't be too difficult. However, just going straight to the computer on this one wasn't easy at all. I had to take a step backward and do some sketches first. I had already done my anomaly and repetition compositions so I sketched some ideas for the rest. It was much easier to just draw letters on a page than it was to shift through all the types faces to try to decide which I wanted. When I was sketching I had general ideas of what I wanted each type to be. When I took the drawings to the computer all I had to do was choose an appropriate typeface and layout the letters for the composition. Some ideas changed a little from sketch to digital, but the basic idea is still in all of them and I can certainly say brainstorming and creating compositions was easy on paper and hard on computer.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you employ analog sketching in this process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you want to label these compositions, I can give you virtual feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are looking really good, David.
    1) stunning. don't change a thing.
    2) where is the concentration happening? the center where the circle is the slight white line where the two black lines touch, before exiting at the top? also, consider how this sits in the frame, it could be much more dynamic if you played with asymmetry a bit more.
    3)two different ideas and compositions in one. choose one and let it shine.
    4)good.
    5)getting there. letters on the top of the K seem too dominant. also the line "uuidoz..." is sitting awkwardly. make a commitment: no leading space vs. no leading space.
    6)interesting method. kind of two different ideas in one, but can you make it work? they are fitting right now, but maybe the X's could be brought "forward" and the S's pushed "back"?
    7)like this method as well. not quite seeing gradation yet. push it.

    ReplyDelete