Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Tesla Experience

Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic! If static our hopes are in vain; if kinetic — and this we know it is, for certain — then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature.

Said by the man himself. I found this quote in a comic the Saturday before my sophomore Fall semester. I had recently been pondering something of this nature. I felt like all things were connected and that all things influence other things no matter how small or large. There are microcosms and macrocosms of events that affect us everyday and influence choices we make. All this business got me to start thinking about how things come around. Like the saying "What goes around comes around." I began to wonder if there was an energy between all people and things. A self perpetuating energy that drove itself, drove us, and was driven by us. Then I came across this quote. I don't know. Maybe I'm making ridiculous stretches, but I definitely felt like I was supposed to come across the quote. Since then I've started looking into Nikola Tesla, although I must admit I've had to put him aside to focus on design  things. So that's why I chose to represent Tesla with this poster. 

Nikola Tesla was born the tenth of July in 1856 and died the seventh of January in 1943. In his lifetime he had made 278 patents between 26 countries. Most of these patents were made in the U.S., Britain, and Canada. He was born in a Serb village in modern-day Croatia. His father was a priest in the Serbian Orthodox Church. He completed a four year program at Higher Real Gymnasium in the span of three years. While there he decided he wanted to devote his life to studying electricity. In 1875 he began attending The Austrian Polytechnic, but he did not get a degree there. Tesla was known for being able to construct entire inventions, dimensions and all, in his head and could then build them to an exact precision of what he could visualize. He is also known for being a little odd. His ideas were a little abstract sometimes (like the quote). I'm sure a lot of people (especially people in a Christian dominated country) thought he was crazy or evil. He is often thought of as a mad scientist for his austere experiments and ideas. He was also a very particular person. In a biography I bought on him, the first page introduces him by explaining one of his odd habits. Before every single meal he would calculate the volume of his food. He wanted to know how many cubic centimeters of food he was eating at all times. This is just one example of his different behavior. It's not necessarily that these habits and traits are weird. I think that he has his reasons for doing these things, everyone else just can't see this reason. On the outside, to all people, Tesla was strange and sometimes didn't make sense, but to Tesla everything he did, and thought made perfect sense. 

I have a few indexes and symbol in mind for representing Tesla. First of all though, the title of my poster will be "Tesla" and the quote in this blog is the quote that will be featured. The quote might get shortened a bit ("and this we know, for certain" can probably go).

Indexes:
Tesla coil
Alternating Current
Wireless electricity

Symbols:
Chopped up meals (to represent his OCD like behavior and his calculative mind)
Electricity
  electrical wiring and tubing & light (I plan to use light as a strong component in my composition)
Physics

No comments:

Post a Comment