Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Final Letterpress Postcards


Final two postcards done with the letterpress. A few changes made since my sketch and digital iterations. The most significant changes occur in the typefaces used. I had to change them to allow them to fit. I had made an incorrect judgment concerning a particular type, and when I did the digital mockup it fit in the seven inch span. I had planned on using the Helvetica Italic type and I set as a more narrow type on the computer. It was intended for the top two lines of the postcard layout that is purple. Since it was Helvetica and not a more narrow typeface it wouldn't fit across the postcard. So I switched it up a little bit still using the same hierarchy. Right after I had finished pressing my postcards, I was talking to Bryan Jones, senior in design, about using the letterpress. He mentioned how stroke weights, leading, kerning, tracking and spacing are all taken into high account and given special attention with letterpress. None of this really sunk in though until the next day in critique when Marty said the same thing. Both people said it differently and that may be why I didn't catch onto what Bryan was saying at first. I clearly see the relationship between the letterpress and designing and placing typography. Saying it that way is like saying duh. So obvious now, and I really think I could say that my optical spacing and sense of centering is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment